Spicy Shin of Beef
- 750g boned shin of beef in 20mm thick slices or 1-1.4 kg beef shin-on-bone, sliced 20mm thick
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1/2 c water
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1 t honey
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- or 1 t grated ginger (optional)
- flour or cornflour to thicken
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Trim outer skin and any fat or gristle from beef. Cut meat into rectangles about 50mm by 60mm, or leave rounds of shin on bone. Place in casserole.
- Combine tomato sauce, water, soy sauce, honey, and optional garlic or fresh ginger. Pour over meat.
- Cover casserole well and cook slowly at 150 C for about three hours or until beef is tender. Thicken if desired with flour (or cornflour) mixed to a light paste with cold water. Stir in paste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and service with mashed potatoes, brown rice or noodles, and a green vegetable.
Comments: Alternatives: Also works really well with pork spareribs, lamb or skinless chicken pieces.
Source: Beef & Lamb