Kiwi Quick Mix Scones
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 5-6 tablespoons milk
- Variation Suggestions
- Date - add half a cup of chopped dates.
- Cheese - add 1 cup grated cheese and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder to dry ingreds.
- Pinwheel - roll out into a rectangle 1cm thick. Sprinkle with1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll into log from short side and cut into slices. Place on well greased foil or non-stick baking sheet for easy clean-up.
- Savoury - Add chopped cooked bacon and chopped parsley to dry ingreds.
Preheat oven to hot - 400 -450 F 220C
Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in any fruit/cheese etc.
Melt the butter in the boiling water in a cup and add the milk to bring it up to 3/4 cup.
Pour wet ingredients into the dry. Mix quickly and lightly with a spoon. Mix should look soft and moist - add more milk if needed.
Pat out into a rectangle on a lightly floured counter and cut into shapes - 8-10.
Brush tops with milk and bake immediately in a hot oven for 10 minutes.
Comments: Best eaten the day they are made. Serve with butter.
USA - if they don’t rise as much as they should, try increasing baking powder quantity.
Source: Rally Cook Book